MCAT Biology – Genetics | Next Step Test Prep MCAT Biology – Genetics | Next Step Test Prep

Fields marked with an * are required

Schedule a Free Tutoring Consultation

A Next Step Academic Manager will contact you within 1 business day or call us now at 888-530-6398.

Contact us

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Cystic fibrosis is an autosomal recessive disease that causes severe breathing difficulties and a number of other symptoms. If a male and female, both of whom are carriers for the disease, have one child, what is the probability that the child will also be a carrier?

A) 0%

B) 25%

C) 50%

D) 100%

 

 

 

Explanation

Cystic fibrosis is an autosomal recessive disease that causes severe breathing difficulties and a number of other symptoms. If a male and female, both of whom are carriers for the disease, have one child, what is the probability that the child will also be a carrier?

A) 0%

B) 25%

C) 50%

D) 100%

punnet square

The Punnett square for the cross in the question is shown above. Carriers are those with the genotype Aa, which are the two shaded squares. Thus the child has a 50% chance of being a carrier, a 25% chance of having the disease and a 25% chance of the wild-type AA.

 

 

 

Want more practice?

Fields marked with an * are required

Sign up for our MCAT Question of the Day!

X