April 18, 2014
What is the effect of adding KNO3 to a saturated aqueous solution of KCl?
- Ksp increases because more K+ ions are present.
- Ksp decreases because NO3- ions displace Cl- ions.
- The concentration of Cl- ions decreases because KNO3 addition drives KCl dissociation towards the solid, undissociated form.
- More KCl dissolves because more aqueous K+ ions require more Cl- ions.
April 17, 2014
What is the ratio of the ratio of the absolute pressure at point A compared to point B if the open container shown below is filled with water?
A. Pb = 2Pa
B. Pb = 3Pa
C. Pb = 4Pa
D. Pb = 5Pa
April 16, 2014
An infectious agent is probably a virus instead of a bacterium if it:
- Lacks membrane-bound organelles
- Cannot reproduce in acellular culture
- Has a length of 1μm, about the size of a mitochondrion
- Contains DNA
April 15, 2014
Which of the following best accounts for the negative slope of the liquid-solid equilibrium line in the phase diagram for water?
- H2O(s) has a greater density than H2O(l), which causes the solid to form liquid under high pressure conditions.
- H2O(s) has a greater density than H2O(l), which results from the hydrogen bonds formed between water molecules.
- H2O(s) has a lower density than H2O(l) which results from the crystalline framework that forms due to hydrogen bonds.
- H2O(s) has a lower density than H2O(l) which causes the solid to form liquid under low pressure conditions.
April 14, 2014
Immediately after hatching, precocial birds, such as ducks or geese, are born with open eyes and the ability to walk. The hatchlings follow the first thing they see, which is typically their parent. A behavioral scientist studying this phenomenon observes the birth of a precocial bird, which immediately began to follow the scientist. Which of the following concepts best describes this behavior?
- Innate inheritance
- Parental misrecognition
April 11, 2014
The behavior of gas will deviate from ideal behaviors LEAST under which of the following sets of conditions:
- A gas at high pressure and temperature
- A gas at low pressure and temperature
- A gas at high pressure and low temperature
- A gas at low pressure and high temperature
April 10, 2014
The size of a cell is least dependent on which of the following?
- Intracellular solute concentration
- Surface area to volume ratio
- Resting membrane potential
- Extracellular solute concentration
April 9, 2014
Which of the following accurately compares the final velocity (vf) and acceleration (af) of an object as it strikes the ground after being launched with a velocity (v) from a platform 10 meters above than the striking surface?
- |af| > |a| and |vf| > |v|
- |af| < |a| and |vf| < |v|
- |af| = |a| and |vf| > |v|
- |af| = |a| and |vf| < |v|
April 8, 2014
Which of the following is the pathway of the male gamete from production in the testis to ejaculation?
- Seminiferous tubules, epididymis, vas deferens, ejaculatory duct, urethra, penis
- Seminiferous tubules, ejaculatory duct, vas deferens, epididymis, urethra, penis
- Epididymis, seminiferous tubules, vas deferens, ejaculatory duct, urethra, penis
- Epididymis, seminiferous tubules, ejaculatory duct, vas deferens, urethra, penis
April 7, 2014
Which of the following aqueous solutions will have the highest boiling point?
- 0.10 m Na3PO4
- 0.15 m NaCl
- 0.20 m HF
- 0.30 m CH3OH