March 11, 2014
Antidiuretic hormone (ADH) is responsible for the retention of water in the body. In the kidney, ADH increases reabsorption at the collecting duct. Which of the following physiological responses will be most likely in a patient suffering from severe dehydration?
- Decreased secretion of ADH resulting in decreased blood volume
- Increased secretion of ADH resulting in decreased blood volume
- Decreased secretion of ADH resulting in increased blood volume
- Increased secretion of ADH resulting in increased blood volume
March 7, 2014
What is the oxidation state of chromium in the dichromate ion, Cr2O72-?
March 6, 2014
Mono-nucleated muscle cells are a predominant muscle fiber found in all of the following EXCEPT:
- the stomach
- the pharynx
- the heart
- the lungs
March 5, 2014
The combination of the cornea and the crystalline lens shown below serves as a converging lens. In a perfectly functioning eye, an image is projected at a fixed distance on the retina, which is approximately 2cm from the lens. What is the power of the converging lens when a person without any visual impairment stares at a distant object?
- 0.5 diopters
- 10 diopters
- 25 diopters
- 50 diopters
March 4, 2014
The electronegativity of elements increases going from left to right across a row in the periodic table. Which of the following best accompanies this trend in the periodic table?
- A decrease in ionization energy and an increase in atomic radii
- A decrease in atomic radii and a decrease in ionization energy
- An increase in ionization energy and a decrease in atomic radii
- An increase in ionization energy and an increase in atomic radii
February 28, 2014
Which of the following pure compounds form ionic bonds?
- I only
- I and II only
- I, III, and IV
- I, II, III, and IV
February 27, 2014
Color blindness (B) is a recessive (b) sex-linked disorder that results from a mutation on the X chromosome. What would be the most likely phenotypes of the male and female progeny when a colorblind man and a woman with no family history of color blindness mate?
- All of the male and none of the female offspring will be colorblind
- Half of the male and half of the female offspring will be colorblind
- None of the male and none of the female offspring will be colorblind
- None of the male and all of the female offspring will be colorblind
February 26, 2014
Which of the following, heterocyclic amine and/or secondary amine, best describes the molecule shown below?
- Heterocyclic amine only
- Secondary amine only
- Both heterocyclic amine and secondary amine
- Neither heterocyclic amine nor secondary amine
February 25, 2014
The voltage of a galvanic cell, E, depends on the concentration of reactants and products. The Nernst equation,
E = Eo – (0.0592/n)log(Q)
can be used to calculate the cell potential. Eo is the standard cell potential, n is the number of moles of electrons exchanged in the reaction, and Q is the reaction quotient. Which of the following is true regarding the value of E?
A. E is always less than Eo
B. E is always greater than Eo
C. E is always equal to Eo
D. E can be less than, greater than, or equal to Eo